SECURITY & EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS
Click here to subscribe to the JCRC-NY's Security and Emergency Preparedness Alert list.
Find additional resources on:
Agencies working to prepare us for different emergencies:
- JCRC-NY's Resources
- "Emergency Planning: Disaster and Crisis Response Systems for Jewish Organizations" published by United Jewish Communities, written by John Jay College of Criminal Justice and JCRC-NY
- JCRC-NY's Security Blog
- Short takes
- U.S. DHS Infrastructure Protection Report Series: Religious Facilities (DOC) Good overview of the vulnerabilities of religious facilities, with recommendations.
- US Postal Inspection Service Guide to Mail Center Security (PDF) Written mainly for large organizatinos, the Guide will help all organizations to set up solid policies and procedures.
- Sample Building Access Policies and Procedures (PDF) Learn how to balance the goals of having your institution be both welcoming and secure.
- Security Awareness (PDF) Terrorist acts and other attacks are often preceded by active surveillance of a target location; learn how to detect hostile surveillance before an incident occurs. By Paul DeMatties, Senior Advisor on Corporate Security Programs and Director of the Counter-Terrorism Assessment Program, John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
- High Holiday Planning (PDF) The High Holidays are a special challenge for synagogues. Find tips for security and emergency planning here.
- ADL Security Website
- "Arabian Knightz - The Ever-Evolving Al-Qaeda Threat" (PDF) Mitchell Silber, NYPD
- Cybersecurity tips for non-technical users. Descriptions and advice about common security issues for non-technical computer users from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (US-CERT - PDF)
- Information for system administrators or other technical users
- US DHS Active Shooter Page
- NYPD Shield
- The Investigative Project on Terrorism
- Terrorism Resources ADL
- Sources on Terrorism and Counterterrorism American Jewish Committee
- Emergency Preparedness & Planning
- How is a Sukkah regulated by the Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code? An explanation by the New York State Department of State Division of Code Enforcement and Administration.
- JCRC-NY's Sukkot Fire Safety (PDF) Sukkot is supposed to be a time for rejoicing. Unfortunately, it sometimes leads to catastrophic fires unless care is taken.
- JCRC-NY's Power Outages 101 for Jewish Organizations (PDF) Learn how to plan for a common emergency that can give you the tools to plan for larger emergencies.
- JCRC-NY's School and Classroom "Go-Kits" (PDF) Schools should think about and put together the information needed in an emergency, keep it up-to-date and place it in a safe, but obvious place.
- Public Health Updates
- Hate Crimes
- Combating Hate Crimes - Safety for All New Yorkers (PDF) - JCRC-NY Testimony to NY City Council, Nov. 1, 2007
- High Holiday Security and Emergency Preparedness Planning Library
- High Holidays Security and Emergency Preparedness Thinkplate (2012)
- Access control considerations during high holiday services (PDF)
- Houses of Worship and the High Holidays (PDF excerpt from Emergency Planning: Disaster and Crisis Response Systems for Jewish Organizations) The High Holidays are a special challenge for synagogues. Find tips for security and emergency planning here.
- Planning for the Unexpected - High Holiday Edition 2010 (PDF)
- Video transcripts of webinars